The Messenger

The fourth and final edition of the Early Days Collection series takes a distinct step towards the box bottling of the future with less sense of small casks dominating the taste. Now at last, we’ve captured the feeling of what can only be described as The Box House Style. The Messenger is an envoy that communicates what is to be and what’s to come, something that becomes even more evident in the following series.

Recipe

76% of the whisky comes from a 130-litre Bourbon cask whereas the remaining 24% comes from 100-litre Oloroso sherry casks.

7% of the whisky included is peated.

The Messenger has been neither chill-filtered nor coloured.

Ingredients

Yeast: Fermentis Safwhisky M-1.
Unpeated malt: Pilsner malt from Vikingmalt in Halmstad.
Peated malt: Pilsner malt from Castle Maltings in Belgium. Dried using Scottish peat reaching a 45ppm phenols.
Process water: From the Bålsjön Lake, filtered through sand and coal filters.
Cooling water: From the Ångerman River.
Batches included: 82B-102B, 113B-114B, 129B-132A, 135B-165A.
Batch size: 1.2 tons of malt.
Average yeasting time: 80 hours in stainless steel washbacks.
Distilled between 2011-06-22 and 2011-11-04.

First cut:
Unpeated recipe: 13 minutes (foreshots)
Peated recipe: 30 minutes (foreshots)

Second cut:
Unpeated recipe: 67% ABV (20°C)
Peated recipe: 60% ABV (20°C)

Casks used

The bourbon casks are Quarter cask sized (130–140 litres) produced by the Speyside Cooperage using newly-emptied bourbon barrels (200-litres).

The sherry casks have been remade into 100-litre casks by Thorslundkagge, using old 500-litre Oloroso casks.

Up until October 2014 the casks were stored in a damp warehouse and lost some of their alcohol. Between October 2014 and November 2015, the casks were stored in a drier environment in Box warehouse number 3.

On the 5th of November 2015, 3,084 kg of whisky with an average alcohol content of 59.3% were added to a vatting tank.

During bottling, the alcohol level was adjusted to the predetermined 48.4%. The Messenger was bottled between the 9th and the 12th of November 2015 in a batch of 8,169 bottles. 8,004 bottles were released via the Swedish state alcohol distribution network Systembolaget on the 4th of September 2015. The remaining bottles were retained for whisky fairs, tastings and select foreign markets.

We recommend letting The Messenger breathe for a while in the glass before drinking. Feel free to add a few drops of water in order to enhance and bring the whisky’s aroma to life.